Rent Relief Programs
We encourage you sign up to receive announcements regarding any future rent relief funds, eligibility, and application process. Click here to sign up for these important updates.
Alaska Housing Rent Relief is leading the country in distributing funds — see current status on the program dashboard.
When Rent Relief Is Complete
For individuals whose rent relief is ending, please be proactive and speak with your landlord about your circumstances. Should you need further assistance, additional resources may be available.
- Explore public housing options and/or voucher programs in your community
- Find out if you qualify for Emergency Housing Vouchers
- Learn about the Housing Stabilization & Recovery program
- Visit The Association of Alaska Housing Authorities' (AAHA) for information about regional housing authorities and available resources
- Connect with a HUD-certified housing counselor
- Call or visit 2-1-1
- Visit AHFC’s Employment Library for assistance with job readiness
- Download AHFC’s free budgeting tool to assist with developing a budget and managing monthly expenses
If you continue to have financial challenges that make paying your rent difficult, we encourage you to review and take advantage of these resources to make sure you remain safely housed.
Provide Supporting Documents
All applicants need to provide certain documentation as part of the initial review. These include:
- A copy of your government-issued ID.
- Supporting income documents. Find out what counts as household income, and what you can provide as supporting documentation here.
- A statement showing any past-due rent and a copy of your current lease agreement.
- Copies of past-due utility bills (if you requested utility relief).
We will request these documents by email (and send you reminders, if necessary) and provide you with secure links to submit them directly to the system.
Verify Your Information
A relief specialist will be assigned to your application and will reach out to you directly. They will help you complete the application by finalizing information about your current rent and utilities, any past-due amounts or future payment needs, and any additional documentation needed to determine the amount of rent and/or utility relief you qualify for.
Payments Are Distributed
Your rent and/or utility relief payments will be made directly to your landlord and utility companies. All past-due rent and utilities (back to March 13, 2020) will be paid first. If you owe unpaid rent or utilities, that amount will be paid in one lump sum following your final approval.
If you are eligible for future rent relief, those payments will be distributed in three-month increments once your application reaches final approval. Future payments will require documentation that supports your continued need.
Check Your Application Status
The application period for Alaska Housing Rent Relief closed on October 1, 2021.
If you already submitted an application, you can visit the check status page anytime to see where your application is in the review process. If everything is "in review" then you're all set for now. If we still need something, you'll find instructions and links to submit that information.
Have trouble with your application?