Legal Rights & Aid

Alaska Housing Rent Relief is no longer accepting applications or appeals. Visit for historical information about this program.

There are many federal and state housing laws that protect you as a landlord and property owner. For more information about your rights, to get legal advice about eviction and foreclosure, or to report a case of housing discrimination, please refer to the legal resources listed below.

Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC)

Through legal advice and assistance, ALSC helps Alaska’s families, veterans, seniors and other vulnerable members of the population stay in their homes and avoid homelessness. They can help you understand eviction or foreclosure, resolve landlord-tenant disputes, and clarify issues about adequate repairs to substandard housing. They can assist you with legal questions and situations, and their services are free. To access legal information about a certain topic, follow the links below.

Web: Alaska Legal Services Corporation
Helpline: (907) 743-1000 (in Anchorage); (855) 743-1001 (outside Anchorage)

State of Alaska Landlord and Tenant Act

This act includes landlord and tenant rights and obligations under Alaska law. 

Web: State of Alaska Landlord and Tenant Act
Download: The Alaska Landlord & Tenant Act: What It Means To You

Department of Veterans Affairs

Military members or veterans can call the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or visit the VA’s home loan website to get personalized assistance. Military members may also contact their local JAG office for more information. 

Web: VA Home Loan Website

Elder Aid

Provides information about programs in place to assist seniors in exercising their rights, help secure benefits to which they are entitled and work to protect them from abuse and exploitation.

Web: Eldercare Locator

HUD-Approved Housing Counselors

A HUD-Approved Housing Counselor is a trained professional who can advise you on choices that may be available to prevent foreclosure. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) supports a network of housing counseling agencies throughout the country. Housing counseling is available in many languages. The HOPE Hotline provides assistance from a housing counselor by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Web: HUD-Approved Housing Counselors
Phone: (888) 995- HOPE (4673)